There is so much to keep up with when it comes to social media. It seems there is a new feature, a new strategy, and a new tool or solution almost everyday. It can feel very overwhelming and many of us throw our hands in the air and don’t even bother. Unfortunately, social media is here to stay. So, how can you jump on the wagon and feel not so overwhelmed?
Here are a few simple steps I have come up with to keep social media simple and to keep your content fresh and up to date:
1) Create a content calendar: Each month pick a topic or a theme. Write 1-2 short articles based on this topic and find other relevant articles to share. Share different types of content. Pick a video, a photo, a meme, and so on. Change it up but stick to your theme for that month.
2) Schedule time in your day for social: Pretend you have a meeting with your social media accounts. Schedule a time, or two, each week where you sit down and post to your social media accounts. They can be quick updates but make sure they are relevant and of value to your audience. If that is too hard, just share a picture and tell your audience what you are doing. The point is to engage. Be yourself and you will be fine.
3) Talk to Others: Part of social media is being social. Don’t just share your content. Comment on others posts and share others photos and articles. This will get your brand seen in the newsfeed and show others that you are interested in what they are doing as well.
4) Schedule time to write: This is my biggest challenge. I am committing to you all right here, and right now. I will schedule to write for 30 minutes every Friday. There. Now I am accountable. Gulp. When will you schedule to write?
5) Keep it Simple: Sometimes we over complicate things. Keep it simple. Just be yourself on social media. Show and tell. Show your audience what you are doing and tell them why they should work with you.
What else would you add to this list?